Remember this? [I should have edited that to add that the next time I was there I brought an identical one to the register, explained that I had inadvertently stolen one so I wanted to pay for it and leave it there. She could not understand so I had to go into a lengthy monologue after which she stood in awe of my honesty. All of that over two bucks. Stinkin' goody goody, I know. Whatever.]
So. Littlest and I were out shopping yesterday and after painfully waiting in The Longest Line Ever, I realized in the parking lot - after unloading & buckling Littlest in - that I put something on the bottom of the cart and forgot about it. GRRR. If it was $5 or under, I probably would've kept moving (apparently my morality now has a cap, or what's the opposite of cap?), but the price tag was a whopping $25. Not so petty a theft. I hauled Littlest and myself back and went to the check-out lady I had just come from, who still had a doozie of a line. I apologized. She grunted. She said "ok" with a poker face and seemed thoroughly perturbed at me. I wanted to launch into a big rant: "It was an accident! If I meant to steal it, would I be standing here? I'm just trying to do the honorable thing - in spite of how inconvenient it is, how irritable my hungry two year old is and how now I'm running late to pick up my other daughter and now have to go 180 mph, thanks to you and your slloooowww registering skills. I'm back regardless of the blister growing on my pinky toe - the trip back and forth to the parking lot had to be at least 200 extra steps - and I really never cared to see your horrible blue eye shadow again... how dare you be irritated?! Stop looking at me like a thief!!" Instead I just muttered, "You're welcome" as I grudgingly left. I told her. I have to admit at that moment I really wished I didn't bring it back. Which led to some reflection as to why because of her reaction I wish I'd done things differently... differently meaning illegally not to mention immorally. Hi, I'm Kristi. I'm a big fat sinner.
On a completely different note, my fingers absolutely will not type properly. I've hit backspace more during this post than the past five years combined. What gives?
6 comments:
Wow, between "stop thief" and "not yet reformed" I would say you better start looking at your purchases (and non puchases) before you leave the store. You could get into a heap "o" trouble!!!
Poor Kristi! She too should have been in awe of your honesty, I know I am:)
Succumb to your evil stealing desires, Kristi! COME TO THE DARK SIDE! And really, if they're going to make it so easy to steal, it's their own fault. :)
I worry all the time that I'm going to do that when I take Sophie into a store in her stroller, because I generally put stuff in the basket under her seat while I am browsing. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened yet.
Good for you for being honest! You did the right thing, and I don't think a lot of other people would have. You can't let unpleasant clerk bring you down. Just remember how many unpleasant customers she has to deal with.
Wow. Now that's a story! Had the same thing happen with a gallon of milk. Of course that was AFTER the cart-guy saw me trying to unload my groceries in the wrong Honda Pilot. Unfortunately, their trunk was unlocked, they had packages in the back (didn't happen to need anything they had :) )...so along with my humble apology (thank goodness it was dark!), and seeing my milk error (of course these events occured simultaneously) I tried to laugh it off as I explained to him why I then had to go BACK into the store. Was pretty happy to vacate the premises that night.
Maybe you have rheumatoid arthritis, like me... I'm only 22, and it's self-diagnosed, but why see a doctor? I know it's real.
Post a Comment