Thursday, May 22, 2008

I love coffee in the wee early morning, which is totally unrelated to this post.

A few weeks ago, both of Mary's eardrums perforated. I've been using the term exploded, because it sounds more dramatic and thus evokes more sympathy (poor poor poor Littlest!!), but mostly because I keep forgetting the word perforated. Perforated perforated perforated. She's already had two rounds of antibiotics and had her (second) follow-up appointment yesterday. One ear is now fine, one is still trouble with a capital T (that rhymes with P, that stands for Perforated! Do you think my kids will tire of The Sound of Music if I introduce them to The Music Man?! I heart The Sound of Music, but 47 times within a week can tax even the biggest fan. And never you mind about those 47 times... I've been busy, Maria is an excellent governess, she's free and as Gracie put it: Maria knows about Jesus!). (That was quite the sidenote, welcome to my brain.)

My two eldest have never had ear trouble so I'm pretty much an ear infection rookie. A total ear explosion rookie. Let me say this: EWWW. The stuff that comes out of a perforated eardrum is just plain EW with a capital E. W. Imagine the slimiest boogers you've seen and multiply that times a bazillion, mat it in her hair, along her face and filling up the entire ear. Got it? Then imagine that multiple times a day for over a week because antibiotics aren't working. Add crying and gnashing of teeth (mine because I missed her last well check and feel horrendously guilty). Much more guilt because when they blow, it's extremely painful -- and I DIDN'T NOTICE the amount of pain she was in. When they blew, I had the flu (and I'm not even going to mention how that rhymed!). The "I really don't want to be a mom and be responsible for anyone or anything but lay here and feel sorry for myself" flu. So she cried and fussed and I cursed. My baby was in an incredible amount of pain and I thought she was "just" feeling neglected, which is sad enough in itself, but not as sad as legs so achy, even the aches have aches. And I said STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT and we both cried. A lot. More often than not, I wish kids could remember these early years and all of the love, sacrifice, attention, snuggles we give them... this time, I'm glad she won't remember how Mommy yelled at her while her head exploded.

13 comments:

Shauna said...

We are ear infection pros over here if you need any advice.

Unknown said...

Ah, the ear explosion. I had no idea that was even possible until it happened to me while pregnant with my son. I couldn't hear properly out of that ear for over a month afterward. And yes, it hurts more than I could have possibly imagined, so I have a lot of sympathy for your sweet kiddo. Hope she's on the mend soon.

-andi from Poot and Cubby

Gina said...

hahahahahahahaha!!! I am still laughing at some of your posts- especially the deodorant one because, ahem, I did that tooo!!! You know, directions would be helpful...
Anywho!
I really enjoyed my visit here! Glad I blog-hopped over from Lacy's!
If you get the chance, pop on by mine!
:-)
I am also really sorry your poor baby is dealing with an ear infection. My heart goes out to her- I had an ear infection about 5 years ago, and I could NOT believe the PAIN!!! Suddenly I totally understood why babies cry so much when they have them. They are MISERABLE!!!

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

I tried posting and it vanished.

I'm too tired to type it again. I'm a lousy blogging friend.

Blessings!
Lacy

www.razorfamilyfarms.com

Mikele said...

So sorry, Mary my love. We've done the ear thing, so let me know if you need anything.

Rachel said...

Aw poor Littlest!! I hope she's feeling better soon and you stop feeling so guilty. Poor mama!! No wonder you haven't been posting!

KatBouska said...

Awwww poor baby!! Both of you. There's nothing quite as bad as a good dose of mother's guilt. Being a mom is hard enough, I could do without the whole guilt thing. One time we were making our baby "cry it out", I kept wanting to go in and my husband was like "she'll never learn" and then I was like "Did she just cough?? Is she choking??" and he was like "Stop Kathy! Just let her settle down. When I got her the next morning there was throw up EVERYWHERE. She was laying in it. It was up and down her crib, etc.

That was my biggest dose of mother's guilt so far. I hope baby feels better soon! That sounds extremely painful, but don't be so hard on yourself. How were you supposed to know? Sometimes they just have fussy days like that. :(

Candi said...

I'm sorry for all the sickness:(

P.s. I love coffee in the early morning too!

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

I love that picture of her! She's so beautiful!

Blessings!
Lacy
www.razorfamilyfarms.com

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

I just realized that one of my good buddies came over and found your blog. Yippee! You'll love Gina. She's a doll. She's my hero -- just the kind of wife I would like to be.

She's got a super-fun blog, too.

Blessings!
Lacy
www.razorfamilyfarms.com

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

A friend of mine just spent the entire night sitting in the E.R. with her screaming five year old. Because of HMO issues, they couldn't be seen without permission from their provider and GP except in the case of an emergency. Her son's eardrums perforated in the waiting room of the E.R. between the time that the first doctor came out to assess the situation and the time that they were finally ushered back to a room.

I think she should sue.

Seriously.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you about that.

Blessings!
Lacy
www.razorfamilyfarms.com

Anonymous said...

I can tell you, sweet Kristi, that she will not remember! My grown daughters don't remember the two nightmare "bad mother" events I still carry guilt for to this day. They WILL remember the good times and all the fun they are having!

Jenny said...

Sad, sad, sad! I think God gives little kiddos an amazing sense of forgiveness because, yes, they still love us. No wonder you've been so busy!