
Today you are 6. How did that happen? Moments ago you were born, myself amazed and awestruck that one could love another so much. It wasn't love at first sight or touch, in fact, it was more a blend of "Holy cow, she has RED HAIR!, no way I'm ready for this, why don't I feel a rush of love? and THANK GOD I'm done being pregnant." I actually felt quite panicked. And tired. But once everyone left and it was just the two of us, you snuggled on my chest and fell asleep. The rush of love was akin to a tidal wave and I've been feeling it ever since.
Those first few months with you were very hard, very horrible and so very wonderful. You cried. All the time. It was hard on me and Daddy. I cried. All the time. When you and I weren't sleeping, we were crying (I did attempt to restrain myself in public, you did not). Quite the pair we were. I drank almost three gallons of water per day because of all the crying. And the non-stop nursing. Not a day in your life anyone could ever accuse you of not being a good eater. But once you were finally over all the crying, you lit up -- and you've been lit up ever since. You smile brightly, laugh heartily and you've changed me, completely and forever.
I get you. You are so much like me, in both good and uh, not so good ways. I am determined to win on stubbornness, but you certainly give me a run for my money. You don't like to be told what to do (I have NO IDEA where you got that). You like what you like, not what someone else thinks you should like -- except when the thousands of boys in your kindergarten class made fun of Dora. Then you were so. over. Dora. You're ridiculously dramatic -- a bug bite could induce large amounts of screaming and gnashing of teeth and a moderately funny moment could elicit mountains of laughter. You are equally comfortable being a leader or a follower, the oldest or the youngest. You're beautiful, but even more beautiful on the inside and I think you already recognize the difference and importance of the latter.
I love how inclusive you are of others. I love how free you are with compliments. I love that someday you'll have to brush your own tangles. I love that you remember random things that make me laugh. I love how you get Mary milk and are learning to change diapers. I love how much you love to read. I love your laugh and your passion. I love (and envy) your boundless energy. I love your freckles and toothless grins. I love that you say Coco's your best friend. I love that no matter how big you get, you still sit on my lap. I love that you can be bribed to yank out a loose tooth to watch Little House on the Prairie. I love that you love getting tucked every night and come find me every morning.
I'm so incredibly proud of you. Who you were, who you are... the woman you'll become. I can hardly wait to hang out with her. No wait, I can. I CAN. Stay little!
It's impossible to express what you are to me. I love you, Kid.
6 comments:
A post at 5am?
Happy Birthday, you sweet 6 year old. I'm glad I know you.
Happy birthday, you beautiful girl!! Great post, Kristi, really sweet, I love when you do thses posts.
What a beautiful post! Happy Birthday to your little one!
Kristi --
I saw your blog in an email you sent out ages ago - and I just had to leave a note on this post! I remember crocheting a baby blanket for Grace right before I left for college and then you moved away from Antioch... Can't believe she's already 6!
Miss you lots!
Meagan (used-to-be Wood :) )
Happy Birthday, Gracie! I love so mnany things about you. Your contagoius gut laugh, your super good hugs, your helpful spirit, every picture you color for Uncle Rich and me. We wish we could be there to celebrate with you. We love you very much.
Happy, Happy Day!!!
Post a Comment