Sunday, August 3, 2008

Oceanside

Last week we trekked across the desert to get some relief from the heat and pretend we were beach folk -- betcha didn't know I surf!! (I don't.) We rented a little house a few blocks from the beach with these crazies (proof to follow). It was a welcome break from reality and we relished leaving the windows open 24/7. We talked all the way back about WHY it is that we live in this suffocating heat when there is that kind of weather to be had...! WHY?! Why?? Oh. Right. For lack of a million bucks. Pity.

My all-time favorite kid I can't get enough of. I want to frame this picture.


My all-time favorite kid, intent on seeing that equal amounts of sand get on each beach towel, so much so that you may as well not have a towel.


My all-time favorite kid who loves to get dirty. Then clean. Then dirty...


They look pretty excited about the gigantic octopus heading straight for them.


Jasmyn and I.


She looks like this in a bikini and I still allow her to be my friend. I know, my maturity level is astounding. Especially when I was folding laundry and for a moment literally (not figuratively and trying to make a dramatic point, LITERALLY) thought her shorts were Gracie's. Hi.


After a day at the beach, we headed to San Diego to visit my Dad's brother, Ray, and his family at which time my camera decided to temporarily cease working. Good news: it was temporary; bad news: no pictures were taken.

That could actually be good news too, because now I can make up whatever I want about them. Let's see... first of all, they're all an incredibly hideous crew (read: gorgeous). Dinner was horrible and we could barely choke down a few bites (read: deeelicious and we overate -- who, us?). Uncle Ray and Aunt Donna are not at all hospitable and make you feel like you're completely intruding on their lives (read: we were ready to move in). Grandma Martha was not at all happy to see us (read: gave lots of hugs and dolls to the girls). My little cousin Julie, who is off to college this month is sulky and uh, has no fashion sense whatsoever (read: so sweet and entirely out of my fashion league). Cousin Jenny is fat (read: pregnant for the first time -- due in December with a little boy!, lovely, glowing and easy to talk with). Pete, Jenny's hubby, was not at all friendly and wouldn't go a bit out of his way to come see us (read: fun to be around & went waaay out of his way to come for dinner). Their house is in the hood with bars on the windows and we were scared for our lives the entire time (read: I think you know...). All in all, an absolutely horrible experience that we hope to never again be subjected to. We'll be planning a trip every three months. ;)

More vacation truths and moderately exaggerated truths to follow...

6 comments:

calicobebop said...

Sounds like a great time! My daughter likes to ensure that sand is equally distributed as well. :)

Laural Out Loud said...

I recognized the pier as soon as I saw the pics! I live in Oceanside. Prices are actually getting super low right now- we're considering moving closer to the beach. You should check the market!

Gina said...

LUV-A-LEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
ahhhhh. why oh why oh why?!?!?!
I know.
sigh.
What's that?!?!?! check the market?!?!?!?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel said...

So beautiful. I'd love to live in San Diego some day...some day.... :-)

Mikele said...

I hate Jaz.

Heh.

CaraBee said...

Oh, I want to go to the beach. Looks so wonderful!