Friday, June 13, 2008

Ships passing in the night

Last night I wasn't feeling very well, so I literally went to bed at 8:00. I may have made it til 8:05. I'm an animal. I saw Justin for about 5 minutes before that. It occurred to me (again) that we don't see nearly enough of him. Of each other. I miss him. They (the infamous they) say that the best thing you can do for your kids is to have a great relationship with your spouse. I couldn't agree more... and yet, sometimes it seems we rarely take the time to nurture it. I'm often so exhausted at night that I can barely hold a coherent conversation and the same is true of him in the morning.


He works a lot and is very motivated to do the very best he can for our family. I admire that. Respect it. Value it. Hate it. Miss him.


I remember the times when it was just the two of us, easily laughing with each other and it felt like we had all the time in the world. The days when when he'd release his morning buildup with varying accompanying sounds, it was novel and kind of funny. The days when we discovered the healing powers of tequila. The days when we'd watch The Simpsons loudly and he'd "do'h" all over the place, which is occasionally hilarious. When we could stay up however late we wanted because WE could decide if we would take a nap the next day.


And then we were blessed. With the most amazing gift. Who also happened to be packaged in the body of a horribly fussy baby. And things changed.

Partially in a good, you're so sweet with her way, partially in a want to bite your head off kind of way. Expectations weren't met. Stress elevated. Time for us became unintentionally less important. Repeat. Repeat again.





Sometimes we get it right and still giggle under the covers, sometimes we don't and may or may not wish legions of red ants to attack. Sometimes our conversations consist wholly of "kid kid house kid work work kid house kid house work kid kid kid."





We must reprioritize, get back to our roots. Something along the lines of "laugh love kid us kid kid work love kid work steak house us laugh laugh laugh kid us us love."


















Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go ask my hot husband out on a date. Who knows, he may even get lucky.

13 comments:

Jasmyn said...

It is so easy to get stuck on autopilot. You inspire us all with those words to not settle for that. I hope you have a hot date, and you truly enjoy your time together. Bring the girls by if you need a sitter:)
love you!

Oceanchild said...

I stumbled across your blog after reading the latest post on We are THAT family. I am feeling this way so much lately. I appreciate reading your feelings. Sometimes it seems like it'd be easier to give up and find a new best friend.

KatBouska said...

Awwww...well said. I think a lot of us can relate! My husband and I recently talked about making sure to spend 15 minutes of uniterrupted time together everyday. I just hate that's it's gotten to the point where we need to plan that.

Boo.

Gina said...

Have a GREAT date and unrut yourselves!!!!!

Candi said...

I love this post and your honesty!

CaraBee said...

That's really wonderful! I never understood the toll children take on a marriage until we had our baby girl. We've survived (so far) by trying to keep our sense of humor and the lines of communication open. Have a great date!!

Danny Wright said...

You are an excellent writer. Paint me green. Anyway I just wrote a similar article. Feeling kinda melancholy I guess. Congrats on the new car, "green again", My favorite make and model too. Ditto on the judge others then do the same thing thing, so be absolved from any judgement from me. I use to think the older I got the smarter I got. Probably more apt is; the older I get the less stupid, but I know I will still die an idiot, but alas not the same idiot that was born!

What a ramble, good morning.

Danny Wright said...

PS I don't know if it matters but I just added a link here from my blog.

Oceanchild said...

Thank you so much for your prayer and comment. Do you mind if I list your blog on my links?

Anonymous said...

lovely post and fantastic photos! Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Unknown said...

Aw, this made me all teary. I hope you get your date! Maybe I should arrange one too - with my husband, not yours, that would just be wrong:)

-Andi from Poot and Cubby

Rachel said...

Well, I sure hope he's reading NOW, Kristi!! You are simply wonderful and lovely in your honesty.

Jenny said...

yes, go on a date and don't talk about the kids or work or the house! It may be a very quiet time for a while but eventually you'll realize there's more wonder to life than just the same ol' same ol'. I know how it goes...