You know those things you think about but never for very long because they produce an ache in your gut? Things like child abuse, poverty, war zones, drug addiction, starvation, depression, gangs, domestic violence... things like that. Things like that are a major downer, to put it mildly. And yet they exist.
It's much easier to pretend they don't, here in suburbia.
Here where we care about things like the greatness of the DVR and how the yard guy didn't get all of the weeds. Here where I whined because the leather in my new beautiful car wasn't the perfect color and here where the dealer heard about it. Here where my hard-working, loving, funny, handsome, not perfect husband's wife often can't seem to focus on anything but the not perfect part. Here where my heart hurts because my otherwise healthy daughter has an ongoing ear infection. Here where I'm discontented because my nice house isn't in the right part of town. Here where we complain about the short period of time in discomfort between one air conditioned location to another.
Here where we sweat the small stuff.
Anyway, I've just been burdened by all of that horribleness that does exist... here in our midst and also many elsewheres. And I feel heavy. And I feel blessed. And I feel ungrateful and so very grateful. And I feel the need to PRAY. And to PRAY HARD.
I hope you'll join me.
Sorry for the downer. Now please think of puppies, strong men in flannel shirts chopping wood and wildflowers.
9 comments:
Good post - I'm with you. Being in suburbia you tend to lose sight of things outside of that box sometimes. I think it's just easier to pretend the bad doesn't exist even though that is extremely wrong. Sometimes it's good to stop and think how great we have it. :)
We do need to keep things in perspective, don't we?? It's so easy to live in our little bubbles.
Good reminder!
I think we all lose sight of our blessings. It's hard to remember through all the day to day stuff that goes on. Your reminder was good for me today. I needed it!!
Well said. I need a little wake-up call every now and then because I too get bogged down in the negative and don't see all of the absolutely wonderful things in my life. Thanks!
I totally agree with you. It's all about perspective. We have so much to be thankful for and we need to pray daily for those who are suffering. I've learned in my short time in the bloggy world, that there are some very serious needs out there. Thanks for sharing.
How true it is - to forget what's really important and how incredibly blessed we are. I'll be praying with you.
Not a downer, just an excellent perspective check. Thanks for the reminder. :)
you should write a book...you always know how to word everything to capture my attention and say something special!
Nice. Sometimes we need to step back and look at the entire forest and not just one single tree - only then can we re-adjust our perspectives.
Post a Comment